Current:Home > ScamsJannik Sinner parts way with team members ahead of US Open after positive doping tests -Capitatum
Jannik Sinner parts way with team members ahead of US Open after positive doping tests
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:58:57
World. No. 1 tennis player Jannik Sinner has made some changes to his team following a doping saga that began when he tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid twice in March.
Sinner confirmed that he parted ways with his fitness coach Umberto Ferrara and his physiotherapist Giacomo Naldi on Friday in his first press conference since the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITA) announced Tuesday that Sinner bears "No Fault or Negligence" for the two positive doping tests. The ITA said scientific experts deemed Sinner's claim that Clostebol entered his system "as a result of contamination from a support team member" as credible.
Despite the success he's had with Ferrara and Naldi over the past two seasons, including his first major win at the Australian Open earlier this year, Sinner said he's looking for a fresh start in light of the ITA ruling.
"Because of these mistakes, I'm not feeling that confident to continue with them," Sinner told reporters on Friday ahead of the U.S. Open. "The only thing I just need right now, just some clean air. You know, I was struggling a lot in the last months. Now I was waiting for the result, and now I just need some clean air."
US OPEN STORYLINES: Carlos Alcaraz, Coco Gauff, Olympics letdown, doping controversy
MORE: Schedule, prize money, how to watch 2024 US Open
One day after winning the Cincinnati Open, the ITA announced Tuesday that Sinner tested positive for Clostebol, an anabolic steroid banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, in a test at the BNP Paribas Open on March 10 and an out-of-competition test conducted March 18. Sinner was provisionally suspended after the positive test results but continued to play on tour after a successful appeal.
Sinner claimed that a support team member regularly applied an over-the-counter spray containing Clostebol to treat their own wound in March before giving Sinner daily massages and sports therapy, "resulting in unknowing transdermal contamination. " Following an investigation, the ITA accepted Sinner's explanation and determined that the "violation was not intentional." Sinner was stripped of prize money and points earned at the tournament in Indian Wells, California, but he avoided a doping suspension.
On Friday, Sinner said its a "relief" to have received the ruling: "It's not ideal before a Grand Slam but in my mind I know that I haven't done anything wrong. I had to play already months with this in my head... I always respected the rules and I always will respect the rules for anti-doping."
Sinner noted that a minute amount of Clostebol was found in his system — "0.000000001, so there are a lot of zeroes before coming up a 1" — and added that he's a "fair player on and off the court."
Watch Sinner's full press conference below:
Several tennis players took to social media after the ITA's ruling, claiming that Sinner received preferential treatment. Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios said Sinner should be suspended for two years.
"Every player who gets tested positive has to go through the same process. There is no shortcut, there is no different treatment, they are all the same process," Sinner said. "I know sometimes the frustration of other players obviously. But maybe... they got suspended is they didn't know exactly where (the banned substance) comes from."
Sinner added, "We knew it straightaway, and we were aware of what happened. We went straightaway, and I was suspended for two, three days... But they accepted it very, very fast, and that's why."
The Italian opens the U.S. Open Tuesday against American Mackenzie McDonald on Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Contributing: Scooby Axon
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (86329)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Shein lawsuit accuses fast-fashion site of RICO violations
- The value of good teeth
- You may have heard of the 'union boom.' The numbers tell a different story
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Inside Clean Energy: Biden’s Oil Industry Comments Were Not a Political Misstep
- Warming Trends: Americans’ Alarm Grows About Climate Change, a Plant-Based Diet Packs a Double Carbon Whammy, and Making Hay from Plastic India
- Jennifer Lopez Says Twins Max and Emme Have Started Challenging Her Choices
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Baltimore Aspires to ‘Zero Waste’ But Recycles Only a Tiny Fraction of its Residential Plastic
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Was 2020 The Year That EVs Hit it Big? Almost, But Not Quite
- To Equitably Confront Climate Change, Cities Need to Include Public Health Agencies in Planning Adaptations
- DOJ sues to block JetBlue-Spirit merger, saying it will curb competition
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Fox News stands in legal peril. It says defamation loss would harm all media
- Looking for a deal on a beach house this summer? Here are some tips.
- How to prevent heat stroke and spot symptoms as U.S. bakes in extreme heat
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
The Biden Administration’s Embrace of Environmental Justice Has Made Wary Activists Willing to Believe
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $250 Crossbody Bag for Just $79
Does the 'Bold Glamour' filter push unrealistic beauty standards? TikTokkers think so
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
A Deep Dive Gone Wrong: Inside the Titanic Submersible Voyage That Ended With 5 Dead
Medical debt affects millions, and advocates push IRS, consumer agency for relief
Berta Cáceres’ Murder Shocked the World in 2016, But the Killing of Environmental Activists Continues